[Samba] some win2K machines get "incorrect username/password" error

David A. Bibeau David.A.Bibeau at Dartmouth.EDU
Mon Nov 10 22:25:42 GMT 2003

A recent update was made to our "standard image" for new computers. It is for win2K.

These new computers cannot connect to a Samba 3 server running a simple smb.conf.

(Just for the sake of full disclosure, the same exact symptom is happening also with an old appleshare ip server offering SMB)

The slightly older win2K machines have no problem connecting.

I've been around a little bit with my image guy about setting the "allow cleartext passwords" bit to be on from the client, but that doesn't make sense since on the machines that DO work, the cleartext password bit is set to off.  And my understanding of that setting is only to allow backward compatibilty for these clients to connect to older servers.

I've been searching the web for days for an answer...looking at log files.  Seems like I see some common threads about user "nobody" needing to log in, and I in fact do see errors in the log regarding that, but this happens both for clients that work and clients that do not work, so it seems like a blind alley to me.