[Samba] umask-y type question

Richardson Phil - pricha pricha at acxiom.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 15:32:41 GMT 2003

Hi Folks

Got a request from a user who uses samba to copy files between a TRU64 5.1a
server and an NT server, sounds straightforward.

from smb.conf:

			[cake]
			   comment = cake requested by jshaw
			   path = /clients/cake
			   valid users = jshaw pricha
			   force user = cake
			   public = no
			   writable = yes
			   printable = no
			   follow symlinks = no
			   create mask = 0770

We'd like to  force the username to always be cake  - which works great with
the force user option above.

Howeverm, the user has additional; requirements:
When the user copies a file which is read-only from NT he'd like to see
r-xr-x--- permissions
When the user copies a file which is read-write from NT he'd like to see
rwxrwx--- permissions.

Is this possible with a combination of the cake UNIX umask and the create
mask/force create mode ?

If I force the mask to 0770 I'll always get rwxrwx, which we don't want for
a read-only file.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Regards

Phil Richardson

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.