[Samba] Second Windows Computer Disconnects First

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Sat Nov 8 20:36:46 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm setting up a Linux machine to use as a file server for a small group of
windows machines.

Like many of the folks who write to this list, I'm having all kinds of
difficults getting the Windows machines to be able to access the Linux shares.

In my case, the most frustrating thing is that all of my Windows machines and
users can access the Linux shares SOMETIMES. But typically, if one computer
accesses the shared folder, and then another one accesses it, the first
computer gets disconnected.

Does anybody have any insights into why this is happening?

All of my windows computers have their own unique computer names. And the
usernames that are set up for each machine are different (and match the Unix
names and samba names and passwords  that I have on the Linux machine).

Does this have anything to do with the samba server being the "preferred
master"? And why, when my Linux machine is running, do I so frequently see "logged
off" windows machines in Network Neighborhood. This is something that I never
see when the Linux machine is shut down. It's as if the Linux machine is
taking control of keeping track of who is and who isn't on the network -- and it
doesn't do as good a job of updating compared to the way windows stays current.

Help would be appreciated.

Andy Liebman