[Samba] Samba and Word 2000 problems

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Nov 6 15:49:40 GMT 2003

Kevin,

I saw your prior posting. As a minimum you should update to samba-2.2.8a.
The preferred version from a support perspective is samba-3.0.0 or later
(CVS).

If you want to solve this, a network trace or a detailed smbd log of
activities will be required. We need to know precisely what operations
Word is performing that are causing this problem.

If your version supports the "sendfile" parameter you should try to
disable that in [globals], and see if that gets rid of the problem.

Also, suggest you carefully check your hardware. I helped someone who
had a nasty file integrity problem. They built a test network for which
they bought a new hub and were unable to reproduce the problem. It turned
out to be defective hardware - when the HUB and server NIC were replaced
the problem disappeared. Because the problem went away after replacing
both items they did not isolate which was at fault.

If you need further assistance contact me off-line.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org