[Samba] Read Write Access to Linux Share

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Tue Nov 4 13:40:24 GMT 2003

Hi,

I need to allow all users on my small network (6 users) to be able to read
and write on my Linux Share "raid_A". So far, I have been partially successful.

By forcing samba to use the same username regardless of who is actually
logged on (see smb.conf file below), I can make the owner of all files written to
the /home/avidserver/raid director be "avidfiles" and the group be "avidusers".
That way, anybody who has permission to access raid_A can read and write
there. However, I prefer to keep a record of who wrote files to that folder but
still allow anybody in the group to read and write the file.

I have tried another approach that HAS NOT worked. Using chown and chmod, I
have made "avidfiles" be the owner of the directory /home/avidserver/raid. And
I have made "avidusers" the group (chown avidfiles:avidusers
/home/avidserver/raid   and    chmod 2770 /home/avidserver/raid ) .

My understanding is that what I did is supposed to set the sticky bit for the
group "avidusers" so that any file or directory written within
/home/avidserver/raid will give read/write/execute access to the owner "avidfiles" and any
user who is in the group "avidusers".

However, when I comment out the two "force" lines in my smb.conf file,
whoever acutally logs into samba gets listed as both the owner and the group of any
file that gets written.

Does anybody know how to solve my problem?

I have 6 users. All of them are working on Windows computers. All have
usernames and passwords on the Windows Computers that are identical to their
usernames and passwords in my Linux machine. All have a smbpasswd that is the same as
their Unix password.

I want everybody to be able to read and write to/from some shared
directories, but I would like to keep a record on the file to know who wrote it.

Your solutions would be much appreciated.

Here's my very simple smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = RESWORLD