[Samba] getting started

Greg Andrews andrews at sebas.vic.edu.au
Mon Nov 3 22:51:22 GMT 2003

Hello all,

Excuse the very newbie questions, and yes I am reading or have read the
man and or help files, however am still having trouble.

I have two red hat boxes ( a 7.3 and a 9.0 ) with which I am
experimenting.

The 7.3 works a treat ( well  at least I can see it on windoze machine on
the same network) but the same cannot be said for the 9.0 box.

Differences ( none ) I have copied the 7.3 smb.conf file to the 9.0 box
( and of course turned off the smb  process on the 7.3 box but still no
joy.

I am missing something obvious ....  but what ???

Yes the machines are on the same subnet and yes I can ping them.  One
works the other dont :(

Do you have to bind the network card to samba in some way ( my novell
background showing ) ? If so why does the 7.3 machine work ?

I can run swat and also see the smbd and nmbd deamons running but just
cant connect to the beatie via any windoze boxes ( the ultimate aim of
the exercise ).

Any and all help appreciated.

Regards

Greg Andrews