[Samba] No problem.

Stefan G. Weichinger monitor at oops.co.at
Mon Nov 3 22:39:07 GMT 2003

Just to make a positive remark for a difference:

I rebuilt my nice little test-system today.
ItŽs a 350 MHz Pentium II (in words: TWO) with 640 MB of RAM, good old
ASUS mainboard, 3com NIC ... nice oldschool stuff ...

It was set up once ago using a copy of Suse 7.x, upgraded to 8.2 Pro,
then I took hold of it.

Now it runs a linux-2.6.0-test9 kernel, hosts a Samba 3.0.0 PDC (with
OpenLDAP, for sure), and does the backup via Amanda
2.4.4p1-snapshot-sumthin ....

Until today it contained two harddisks, 80G and 20G, today I added
another 20G left over from the PI 133 (in words: ONE) I configured as
ADSL-gateway.

Massive repartitioning and data-moving necessary.
Temporary moving data to the not-so-shiny-anymore WinXP-box next to
it.

P IV (in words: FOUR) 2.66 GHz, half a gig`o`ram, 120 GB hdd, ...

Movin large amounts of videofiles from and to the sambabox.

---

The XP-box gets slow and unresponsive.
Sambabox opens another shell without takin too much notice.

Seems like I hear XP-box coughing under the desk ...
Sambabox crispy and awake.

---

Thank you, Samba-developers.

Ok, maybe the kernel does its work, too...
Or: Sure, the kernel does its work fine.

But Samba definitely kicks my ass again and again.

Just to let you know.

;-)

Stefan G. Weichinger

btw: There was no question asked in this posting.