[Samba] Windbind requirements and settings

Matt mpayton at hunterdonhealth.com
Sun Nov 2 03:27:56 GMT 2003

I posted this to comp.protocols.smb, but I'll give it a shot here too...

Background :
We have an existing Win2k domain, 2 Win2k domain controllers, all
working just fine.  I've been using Samba 2.2.x for quite a while to
provide access to specific folders on *nix machines using Domain
security...So I'm reasonably familiar with how file/print sharing works.
But what I'm interested in now is providing shell access to *nix
machines, without having to manually create accounts on each box.
Therefore, windbind....

1st, if using windbind, and all I want to do is not have to manually
create users on the *nix box, do I need to configure ldap in "client"
mode on the *nix box ?  Or does windbind take care of looking up the
user/password info without needing ldap info ?
I guess what I mean is, do I need to worry about ldap ( or kerberos for
that matter ) ?  We're not currently using it for any of our *nix
machines...

2nd, is it possible to have *only* users in a specified AD group be
granted shell access, and therefore be authenticated ?  IE, I don't want
*all* valid users in our domain to be granted access, I want to be able
to say that only users in AD group X can loin via the shell on the
specific *nix box...
If this is possible, does this require ldap configuration on the *nix side ?

Finally, does using windbind require that the application/daemon
support, or be compiled to support PAM ?  Some of our machines are AIX,
and PAM support isn't standard until 5.2, and has only recently been
back-ported to 5.1...We have 5.1, but also 4.3.3.
Or is there a good source of information on AIX's LAM and how it may
work ( if at all ) with Samba/windbind ?

I've read, and re-read all the information I've been able to find on
windbind, and am still a bit unclear on these things.

Thanks for any info or pointers...

--
- Matt -