[Samba] XP Home and Samba? and: two network cards?

Markus Vorpahl markus.vorpahl at epost.de
Sat Nov 1 23:58:56 GMT 2003

Dan, Don,

>if you have applied the SignOrSeal registry hack, you should be
>able to get your XP Home system to see Samba shares.  You will be
>prompted for a user name and password to access these shares.

I applied the SignOrSeal registry change manually, but still no shares.
Until now, in smb.conf there was security = user set, so there was no domain
logon by the WIN98 stations either. Reading the text in http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/devel/docs/html/domain-member.html:
if I only want to share shares, files and printers, let people read and
write, is domain logon really needed? Aparently, until now there was none.

[global]
workgroup = BAERSCH
netbios name = server
security = user
os level = 65

In fact, the problem might be related to the fact that the running win98
stations are still connected to the BNC ethernet card in the server, without
any WINS server installed, whereas I need to connect the XP stations to
another card. Perhaps I should upgrade to 2.2.8a, and then set up a WINS
server - any suggestions where I find documentation on this?

Thanks a lot -

Markus