[Samba] Windows 95 clients don't create profiles directories and "error 4"

Ricardo Chamorro rchamorro at ciudad.com.ar
Sat Nov 1 20:47:20 GMT 2003

Samba 2.2.x as PDC under Debian Woody. When I want to apply user profiles in clients Windows 9x (I have created
the directory /linux/profiles and is OK the line logon path in smb.conf...)   happens the following problem.
At start session of any W9x user, the profiles are not saved in  directory /linux/profiles/user. Also the
directory "user" doesn't exist, it's not created automatically... and if I create it manually,
neither appear the files later in that directory, that continues being empty. Also appears in the client screen
a warning that says that cannot create the directory /linux/user/Aplication
Data/Identities/{88866554446333................} because the server doesn't support long names files and says
that happened the "profiles error 4".
Should I create the files of profile of each user manually, and
what permissions should they have??
What is the profile error 4??
Can they guide me please???
Thank you in advance