[Samba] Samba on ReiserFS

Holger Hecht hecht at biopsy.uni-jena.de
Sat Nov 1 10:52:54 GMT 2003

Dear Listmembers,

I try to work with samba (newest rpm for SuSE, 3.0.1.pre2, but that does not
matter, the effect was there in 2.2.7 and 2.2.8a too) on an sufficient armed
system (the system does not matter either, I have tried it on different
machines) using ReiserFS (version 3.6.4-12).

When accessing one share from one machine (i.e. copying two or more files at a
time to or from the share) then the transfer speed breaks down, sometimes the
connection goes down (with the following failure:
[2003/11/01 11:37:51, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(342)
  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer).

This happens for WindowsXP and NT4, but only when using ReiserFS, with ext2
there is no problem. And, for large files, I sometimes get data failures when
comparing files afterwards (which makes me very, very nervous).

O.K., I am not bound to ReiserFS, but I want to use a journaling file system
and ACLs. What filesystems would You recommend? Or does somebody know a
solution for the problem with the ReiserFS?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Holger