[Samba] Re: XP Home and Samba? and: two network cards?

Dan Bar Daniel.Bar at seznam.cz
Sat Nov 1 15:53:18 GMT 2003

Markus Vorpahl wrote:

> Two questions concerning our small (six machines) network around a Samba
> 2.2.3a server:

I would recommend to go for upgrade (2.2.8a)

> -  I cannot make the XP home boxes find the samba server. We wanted to replace
> some old desktops with new ones and bought them with XP home installed.
> While they can see the other win98 machines on the network - and these machines
> still work with the server - they do not see the samba server. I used the
> same settings as with Win98, same IP, same gateway, same workgroup, only
> that XP does not accept a username identical to the machine name. Is it
> right that only XP pro works with Samba? Anyone found a workaround?

In case you are using Samba as PDC, then its as Don said. If you want to
know why, some info is here:
http://samba.kn.vutbr.cz/samba/devel/docs/html/domain-member.html
Mentioned Sign-or-Seal registry patch is in Samba packages as
WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg file.

> - I cannot get Samba to run on two interfaces even if I put both IPs into
> the smb.conf. On this network, there is one machine with a BNC Connector
> I would like to keep (its a long cable through down three floors I do not
> want to touch). What did I miss out?

In case you want span one workgroup/domain across two net segments (->
two IP subnets) then setup WINS server if you do not have it already.

Send more info - what do you mean by - "do not work" ?

> Thanks for any help!
>
> Markus Vorpahl

Dan