[Samba] Dfs - Load Balancing

Eric Horst erich at cac.washington.edu
Sat Nov 1 07:46:02 GMT 2003

MSDfs in Samba works great!  MSDfs in Windows works great!  File
Replication Service (FRS) is bad but DFS is good.  We've used Windows Dfs
and Samba Dfs in combination for about two years and it is indipensable.

We have Dfs trees of about 2000 links (corresponding to user home
directories) hosted on Samba.  The 'root' of our Dfs tree is hosted on
Windows and has about 200 links.  We also use it to implement "connect to
any file server and be redirected to the one that actually has your files"
feature.  Kinda like a Samba generic 'homes' share across a cluster of six
file servers.

--Eric