[Samba] samba pdc/roving profiles/encrypted passwords

dan kador shoutinwhispers at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 20:59:42 GMT 2003

It is my understanding that roving profiles cannot be implemented without using encrypted passwords.  It is also my understanding that encrypted passwords cannot be implemented without pointing smb.conf to a windows password server.

I'm trying to set up a samba server on a Linux (RedHat 7.3) to act as a PDC and a provider for roving profiles - when I do things with cleartext (encryption off), I can connect to drives and such fine from Windows 2000 using the typical "net use \\server\share /user:myuser".  However, when I connect to the domain, it will not automatically load my profile.  I'm thinking it's because of the password encryption, but perhaps I'm wrong.

If anybody can help, I'd be very appreciative!  Thanks so much.