[Samba] samba pdc/roving profiles/encrypted passwords

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri May 30 22:34:37 GMT 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, dan kador wrote:

> It is my understanding that roving profiles cannot be implemented
> without using encrypted passwords.  It is also my understanding that
> encrypted passwords cannot be implemented without pointing smb.conf to a
> windows password server.

Where did you get that understanding? It is not correct.

1) You do not need encrypted passwords for roaming profile support on MS
Windows 9x/Me (so long as plain text passwords support is enabled.

2) Roaming profiles with MS Windows NT/200x/XP generally involves domain
logon support and that requires domain membership. Domain
membership requires encrypted passwords.

3) Samba does it's own encrypted password support

Suggest you read:

http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

>  I'm trying to set up a samba server on a Linux (RedHat 7.3) to act as a
> PDC and a provider for roving profiles - when I do things with cleartext
> (encryption off), I can connect to drives and such fine from Windows
> 2000 using the typical "net use \\server\share /user:myuser".  However,
> when I connect to the domain, it will not automatically load my profile.
> I'm thinking it's because of the password encryption, but perhaps I'm
> wrong.

You need to get the Windows  client to join the domain. That does require
MS encrypted passwords support.

> If anybody can help, I'd be very appreciative!  Thanks so much.

Oh? No worries.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra