[Samba] Samba 2.2.8a :: High CPU usage

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Wed May 28 09:03:16 GMT 2003

> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:46:54PM +0200, Lars Kirchhoff wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm facing a silly problem right now. I've installed samba 2.2.8a
> > on a linux box, which is running SuSE 8.0 with a 2.4.20 kernel.
> >
> > The problem is that the performance of the samba installation is
> > quite poor on this system. As we tried to figure out what the
> > reason is, we saw that the smbd daemon is running with a cpu usage
> > up to 98%. That seemed strange to me and I have no clue what I can
> > do about it.
> >
> > I already searched through the maillinglist archives, but didn't
> > found anything for this problem.
>
> Do you have a client with a printer port monitor pointing at
> this system ?
>
> Jeremy.

Jeremy, I have a similar problem, but it also leaks lots of memory.
see http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-May/096336.html for details.

Not sure what you mean with "printer port monitor", but there are clients that
have a local driver and prints directly to the network attached printers. The clients
that are causing the problem are using samba to print to the same printers.

    Jocke