[Samba] VERY VERY Strange problem with Samba Printers

ganapathy murali krishnan gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri May 23 18:28:56 GMT 2003

Here is my $0.02 worth.

In a stand alone machine without any printers installed, MS Access
erports will not work. Basically to view an MSAccess report, it
generates a print preview for which it needs printer drivers. Ofcourse
it the default printer is a samba printer, then it uses the drivers
of that printer.

My guess would be the problem is with the printer drivers, since you
said other programs crash as they try to print. When the default printer
is set to a local printer, then MSAccess uses that driver to generate
a preview so it works without any problem now.

Now is where I am not confident about what I am saying....
But you say that that selecting the Samba printer manually works,
so that means that the samba printer driver does work. So may be
there is some timing or protocol issues.

Hope this helps.

- Murali