[Samba] Access denied, unable to connect to printer

Freeman, Peter (ERHS) Freeman.Peter at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue May 20 23:31:33 GMT 2003

>I have the exact same problem. Printing does work, however -- just not
>actually opening the print queue.

In your case, you should use the "use client driver = yes" parameter in
your [printers] section of smb.conf.

In the original posters case, I'd recommend firstly to upgrade to samba
2.2.8a,
then setup smb.conf similar to the following, which works fine with both
Windows 2000 and XP workstations on my network...

[global]

<snip irrelevant lines>

        printing = cups
        load printers = yes
        printcap name = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
        public = yes
        guest ok = yes
        writable = no
        printable = yes
        printer admin = @g-itstaff
        use client driver = yes

Note:  I have _NO_ [printermodel] sections as the printer setup is done thru
CUPS, for which I'd recommend using the CUPS web admin interface (browse to
port
631 of your CUPS machine).  Once you have setup the printer(s) in CUPS,
restart
Samba to pick up the new printers, and you should then be able to connect to
them
as any 'normal' shared Windows printer.

HTH