[Samba] Re: mount dies misteriously

sascha feelingroovy at gmx.de
Thu May 15 19:40:00 GMT 2003

Balla Zsolt wrote:

> If it is during the boot process, the whole boot process stops without
> any further error message or anything. (you have to enter the
> interactive startup, say no to the smbmount and say mount -a as root
> from a console)
I had some similar problems. My solution was not to mount this through the
fstab but to mount it later, wenn the machine is already up an running.

> the specific line in /etc/fstab is:
>
> //andrea/plazazaza    /plazazaza              smbfs
> user,uid=500,username=samba,password=samba    0       0
I would suggest to add the options 'noauto'(prevents mounting due to the
fstab) and 'exec'(allows executing programs on the smb-share) to the fstab
line. The later mount can be done as user if you just chmod +s
/usr/bin/smbmnt with the mount /plazazaza. This could also be done by a
script with only user rights.

This solved most of my problems, maybe its helpful for you as well.

Sascha