[Samba] NTFS backup question

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed May 14 22:24:23 GMT 2003

Hi Damire,

>Is it realy posible that there isn't a tool like tar
>or cpio for WinXP that support the NTFS specifics?

I'm actually prototyping one such tool in VB. It
outputs a vxdump-compatible stream which can be
redirected anywhere. It's about a month and a half
off. But there is a cost to it - it needs to runas
SYSTEM to be able to pick all extended attributes.

There is a good tar in "GNU-Win II" which I'm using
in the meanwhile but of course it can't tell ACLS
from alternate data streams or else I wouldn't
bother writing my own.

smbtar (included in Samba) does the same albeit at
an irritatingly low speed.

Cheers
Dragan