[Samba] Joining a standalone samba server to a samba hosted domain

Roberto Mason roberto at rmasonfamily.info
Wed May 14 19:08:23 GMT 2003

I have a samba domain setup at home (called sambanet). I have an XP Pro
login on to the domain. I've setup a second Samba Server, which I'm
trying to create a machine account for.

On my Samba Server (not my domain), this is the Global setup I have

[global]
	workgroup = SAMBANET
	netbios name = MAIL
	server string = MAIL  server
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	password server = server
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	unix password sync = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 0
	preferred master = No
	local master = No
	domain master = No
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 192.168.1.2
	guest ok = Yes
	printing = cups

On my server, I'm tying to create the machine account with the following
command:

[root at mail root]# smbpasswd -j sambanet -r server

The result follows.
cli_net_req_chal: Error NT_STATUS_NOLOGON_WORKSTATION_TRUST_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: request challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
SERVER. Error was : NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.
2003/05/14 15:03:33 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password f
or domain SAMBANET.
Unable to join domain SAMBANET.
[root at mail root]#