[Samba] Password syncing

Doug Curtis doug.curtis at world-mail.org
Wed May 7 22:20:29 GMT 2003

I have searched and searched but haven't found any responses on the the
list for this problem.

I am using Samba 2.2.8.  I use Kerberos 5 with ldap for the system
accounts.  I am just learning about kerberos and ldap, so I am by no means
any expert.  I plan on trying to use the Samba with ldap HOWTO later on but
I wanted to get the initial services working first.

I have configured PAM so that when passwd is run, it successfully changes
the kerberos password and the samba password at the same time.  I noticed
that it really doesn't care what the samba password is set to, it just
overwrites anything that is already in the smbpasswd file.

I also have successfully configured Samba to change the samba password from
the windows client (using the change password feature in
Ctrl-Alt-Del).  The only way I could get the password change from the
client to work was to set "unix password sync = no" but I would like the
functionality of this, so that when a user changes their samba password
from the client, it changes both of the passwords.

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Doug