[Samba] Mounting encrypted WinXP shares with smbmount

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue May 6 23:40:47 GMT 2003

Hey CJT,

How are you?

Using the mount command to mount an smbfs file system is not really samba
turf. It is a separate kernel project, all that samba provides is the
mount utilities themselves.

You need to have user accounts on the WinXP workstation that you are
trying to mount from Linux. Samba's settings do not help you much here.

Think of it this way:

To the remote end you are going to send a username and password. The other
end (WinXP target) needs a local reference to that usernamae/password pair
to allow local access. There are two ways to do this:

1) On the Windows XP box add a local user account and set a password on
it, then use these credentials from the Linux end.

_OR_

2) Set all file system permissions on the WinXP machine for a local group
on the machine, then make a domain user a member of that loal group. Now
use the username and password for that domain member to access the share.

Cheers,
John T.

--
John H Terpstra