[Samba] Adding computers to SAMBA/LDAP - SOLUTION

Lance Rathbone l.rathbone at imb.uq.edu.au
Sat May 3 06:50:55 GMT 2003

I appear to have solved my own problem. The scripts from IDEALX don't
work as supplied

You need to edit smbldap_tools.pm, the function is add_samba_machine_mkntpwd
the variable  $tmpldif needs to include objectClass: person and sn: Anything

otherwise an LDAP error is generated and the account is not built completely.

Simple as!!!

Lance

>We are running samba 2.2.8a  as a PDC with openLDAP
>
>Using the tools that come from IDEALX we have created several
>machine accounts Then we have attempted to join the windows domain
>and login with varying results.
>
>One machine acts as expected and we can log in and out freely
>
>A second machine let's one user log in but if that user changes his
>password, he like all the other users is told that his username and
>password do not match.
>
>All other machines when we attempt to join the domain take a long
>time (3-4 minutes) before telling us welcoming us to the domain. The
>machine is rebooted and when a user tries to log into the domain
>they are told the domain is not available.
>
>One point to not about this third group is that the machine is not
>issued with a valid password . The machines' LDAP records show
>
>lmPassword: NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXX
>ntPassword: NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
>Has anyone got any idea what might be going on?
>
>Lance
>--

=====================================

Lance Rathbone BSc MCompStud