[Samba] My Problems with XP and Samba Domain (and how I fixed it)

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at nl.linux.org
Sat May 3 01:42:31 GMT 2003

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 05:35:41PM -0600, John Broadhead wrote about '[Samba] My Problems with XP and Samba Domain (and how I fixed it)':
> After having already applied the proper registry hacks and policy edits
> required for Windows XP (This is one area of John Terpstra's PDF that could
> use some clarification. Perhaps explaining exactly which registry hacks and
> policy edits that are required to join XP to a domain.
There used to be exactly one registry hack required, but that won't be
necessary in the next alpha (thanks to Volker, Jeremy and Tridge).

> In fact, I feel there
> should be an XP section describing all the potential problems with joining
> XP to a domain. Of course, I'm using 2.2.7 so the encryption issues might be
> fixed for 3). I attempted to join the machine to my domain. After being
> prompted for an administrator user, I entered in my root-mapped ntadmin
> user. After several seconds I got an error saying that the Domain couldn't
> be found or does not exist.

> After viewing an Ethereal packet trace, I figured out that because my main
> machine name goldengate is the same name as the main netbios name. But
> because goldengate.americanconsultants.com maps to an internet accessible
> address and the netbios name goldengate maps to an internal 192.168.0.1
> address. Windows XP got confused and used the external address for the last
> half of its communication.
IIRC netbios names have to be unique. You can't have a domain and a
workstation with the same name.

> My Samba machine had a really strange setup with three smb.conf files:
> smb.conf smb.conf.goldengate and smb.conf.printer
> smb.conf essentially just made the netbios alias printer and then included
> the other two with "include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.%I".
> File smb.conf.printer used share level security and set up a server with no
> passwords for our printer (for network guests to use). File
> smb.conf.goldengate set up our domain and was user level security.
You can't use two smb.conf files with different values for 'security =
'. One of the two will get overridden.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at nl.linux.org> - http://nl.linux.org/~jelmer/
 03:37:21 up  3:06,  5 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.10, 0.09