[Samba] --with-winbind-ldap-hack problems

Cory C. Albrecht corya at sentex.ca
Fri May 2 05:55:37 GMT 2003

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Samba 2.2.8a on OpenBSD 3.1, and I'd like to try the
LDAP features since I have OpenLDAP running locally. The problem is, configure
fails. :-(

The first problem, according to the output in configure.log, was that ld could
not find libldap.a. The releveant lines from config.log:

    configure:14291: gcc -o conftest -DHAVE_CRYPT_DECL -I/usr/include/ssl -O
    -L/usr/lib/lib  conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto  -lldap 1>&5
    ld: -lldap: no match
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 14287 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"
    #include "./tests/summary.c"

So I fiddled with configure and made sur ethat every instance of $LDFLAGS had
an -L/usr/local/lib with it, since that is where my libldap.a file is. (But
why does configure/autoconf add -L/usr/lib/lib when that dir doesn't even
exists on my system? And why is it not automagically adding /usr/local/liobs
to the list to search ing for *.a files?)

But it still fails. Relevant lines from config.log:

    configure:14291: gcc -o conftest -DHAVE_CRYPT_DECL -I/usr/include/ssl -O
    -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/lib -L/usr/local/lib  conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto  -
    lldap -lpopt 1>&5
    configure: failed program was:
    #line 14287 "configure"
    #include "confdefs.h"
    #include "./tests/summary.c"

Now exactly what program is failing? Is this another problem with the
configure script? Like giving more wrong directory names so the compilation
and/or linkage fails? Or does Samba not like OpenLDAP (slapd) because it's
expecting certain functions/structures/variables/etc. to exist which don't?

(Unfortunately I am not familiar with autoconf and related progs to do more
than the fiddle I already mentioned to add -L/usr/local/libs.)

Thanks in advance
--
Cory C. Albrecht
Communist (n): one who has given up all hope of becoming a Capitalist.