[Samba] W2K batch scripting error

EXT-Geer, David David.Geer at boeing.com
Mon Mar 31 17:41:56 GMT 2003

Greetings all,

I am supporting Samba 2.2.8 on a Solaris 8 platform, and a user is having problems with the rmdir (or rd) command in his W2K batch scripts. The problem relates to the length of subdirectory names when using the /s flag to remove the entire directory tree. It seems that if a subdirectory name is over 12 characters in length, the rmdir command truncates to 12 characters, and then is unable to find the directory. I have reproduced this problem using the following directory structure:

G:\my_test\testdir\td3456789012345\td00001\testfile

Then, from the my_test directory, attempt to remove the entire testdir directory tree:

G:\my_test>rmdir /s /q testdir
testdir\TD3456789012 - The system cannot find the file specified.
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Note the truncation of the subdirectory name at 12 characters. I believe the second part of the error message is due to trying to remove the top level directory while it still contains files or directories.

An identical test case executed within the W2K filesystems works normally.

I have little knowledge of DOS/W2K command line work, but this seems a simple use of a standard command.

I have been all over the configuration parameters, and I don't see that any of them would affect this problem, but I am no expert.

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Even flames are welcome if I am displaying severe ignorance.

Thanks,
Dave