[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Mar 29 23:14:01 GMT 2003

David F. Severski davidski-samba at deadheaven.com wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Sat Mar 29 10:11:19 GMT 2003
>
> I've recently attempted to convert from the Adobe PostScript drivers for my
> Canon BJC=2110 printer over to the native CUPS Windows PS drivers

You can only do this if your CUPS version is sufficiently new.
Check by reading "man cupsaddsma". Does it already relate to the
CUPS PostScript drivers?

> and can't
> quite get things to work correctly.  After deleting the printer on my
> WinXP SP1 clients, verifying under "Server Properties" that the Adobe driver
> was removed, then reconnecting to my Samba printer, I connect fine but receive
> the error that the "printer drive is not installed on this computer" when
> attempting to go into properties or print to that device.

Which version of Samba and CUPS are you using?

You might need to restart Samba to get it to work (if you have the printer
"Canon_BJC", or any other, newly installed).

If this doesn't help, let root do a

    "smbcontrol smbd debug 3"

and then watch

    "tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd"    (or appropriate path)

while you try to connect to Samba from XP.

Make sure the connection is as a user who can write to the [print$] share.
Check which user you are from Samba's point of view, by asking for

    "smbstatus"

If you had unfortunately been connected as "nobody" (or another user with
a less priviledge account), kill all connections. But that is not enough:
you need to also close all Explorer windows on the client and connect *as
first thing* via a "DOS window":

   "net use \\sambaserver\print$ /user:root"

(instead of root, you could use a username priviledged enough to write to
the print$ share).

The problem is a bug on MS Win: they seem to cache info they received
previously from Samba (or a Win NT printer server) for as long as the
Explorer is open, and keep repeating the same message about "unavailable
driver files" without even asking again the Samba server for an update...