[Samba] smbmount of Windows 2000/XP disregards uid option

Bertil Askelid bertil at Askelid.com
Sat Mar 29 01:00:48 GMT 2003

Hello, Christopher!

   You have to run smbmount as root, which means that the Windows
   harddrives are mounted with all files owned by root.  Unless you have
   a "umask 0", another user, beside root, cannot write access the
   files.

   According to the smbmount man page, a "-o uid=bertil gid=staff"
   should mount the file system with bertil:staff as owner.  And I would
   have write access.  And only me, no one else on my system.

   The "umask 0" trick is dangerous in that you let everybody change the
   mounted file system.

   Thanks for helping me out!

      With Kindest Regards

         Bertil

SMBMOUNT(8)                                                                  SMBMOUNT(8)

NAME
       smbmount - mount an smbfs filesystem

   [ ... ]

OPTIONS

   [ ... ]

       uid=<arg>
              sets the uid that will own all files on the mounted filesystem.  It may be
              specified as either a username or a numeric uid.

       gid=<arg>
              sets the gid that will own all files on the mounted filesystem.  It may be
              specified as either a groupname or a numeric gid.
   [ ... ]