[Samba] Samba, email, LDAP and password integration and management

Brian Johnson bjohnson at jecinc.on.ca
Fri Mar 28 19:50:38 GMT 2003

I set up a test server about a year ago to try this and gave up since it didn't seem
that the processes were quite yet in place to do it ..

I am evaluating the potential for Samba and Linux accounts (including postfix email
accounts) to share the same passwords and have a process in place to encourage users
to change their passwords and try to prevent esay to crack passwords

Could someone please confirm whether they have such a system working and how
difficult it was to set up?

When I looked at it before, it seemed that although Samba could use LDAP, it used a
different schema from the standard system accounts and therefore there was not
really any sharing of password data

If it matters, my server I'd like to do this on is a Redhat 7.3 system

--
Brian Johnson

This is where my witty signature line would be if I bothered to edit this line :)