[Samba] Does "active directory" support include policy support

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Mar 28 07:14:33 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 19:53, Lasse Riis wrote:
> Well, a rather odd subject, but I couldn't really express it differently.
> I would simply like to know if the active directory "emulation" of
> samba+openLDAP+kerberos or samba 3.0 includes support for policies.
>
> I have a bunch of XP clients that I need to set some restrictions on.
> But it seems the days of config.pol files are over, so i need active
> directory support on my PDC. Having read several articles on active
> directory, I still don't understand it fully, but articles about setting
> up active directory on a samba pdc mentioned only partial support for
> active directory(only some features supported).
>
> So before I start crashing our server with software and configuration, I
> would like to know if (group)policies are supported by active directory
> on samba. If this is the case, I'd also like to hear if anybody has a
> working setup of it, and maybe some links (I couldn't finde any) to
> howtos....

We don't yet have an Active Directory PDC (it is much more than
samba+openLDAP+kerberos - we need them all working with each other :-).

That said, we are often confused for an active directory PDC by the
clients - they often 'fall back' in parts of the protocol.  It may well
be possible to create such policies - In the end, they are just a file
in a particular file share.

It would be an interesting challenge for somebody to work on. :-)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net