[Samba] Auth Problems with 2.2.8 and Windows 2000

Gilbert, Erric E - CIDS-2 eegilbert at bpa.gov
Wed Mar 26 22:25:50 GMT 2003

	Hi Folks,

We recently upgraded from 2.2.7 to 2.2.8 to fix the recently discovered bug in Samba. We are now getting intermittent log on failures from Win2K clients connecting to our Samba server (vitals below).

Samba 2.2.8 is running on Solaris 2.8 with Kernel 108528-18

Our Samba security method is set to server and we pass along auth requests to an Win2K AD Domain Controller that has NT 4 compatibility enabled.

We use 4 DC but for testing we have limited requests down to 1. All DCs give the same un-desirable results.

The DC does not show a failure but the Samba server shows:

error packet at smbd/reply.c(1025) cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Some dirs on the samba server have in excess of 3 - 5K of files (I am currently leaning on a timeout theory)

The authentication does work almost 50% of the time. It isn't exact but it is very close.

This may be a bit vague so if there are things I could describe further to help with a resolutoin, please let me know.

Thanks,

Erric