[Samba] Issues with home shares and W2K and MS Office

Dan Tappin dan.tappin at orourke-eng.com
Wed Mar 26 22:25:53 GMT 2003

Ok the attached text is my new smb.conf file with the PDC lines removed.

The home directory issue is still there.

Also on Win98 systems users are prompted for a password when accessing the
home share via Office 2000.  If they enter the proper password they are
given the contents of the home share and they have the applicable
permissions.  W2K users still have no access.

I have a new issue now.

We also have a 'secretarial' share which should be read-only for all users
except for those in the 'secretarial' or 'admin' group.  W2K 'secretarial'
users have read-write access but the same user logged on a Win98 system only
has read only priv.  It's not a Office 2000 thing either... it's via Windows
Explorer as well.  I think I am missing something obvious here.

The '/var/secretarial' directory has 0770 permissions with
server:secretarial ownership.

This hurts my brain.

Dan

[global]