[Samba] Help! winbind idmap corrupt!

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Wed Mar 26 17:24:44 GMT 2003

Our problems with the attempted upgrade to 2.2.8 continue.
On a production machine running 2.2.3, I backed out of the
2.2.8 upgrade due to winbind strangeness reported in earlier
post. Things *appeared* normal, until this morning, when I
noticed that an 'ls -l' no longer shows domain usernames, and
a 'chacl -l' also no longer shows names, only winbind ids.
Furthermore, comparing these ids to the output of 'getent
passwd' or 'getent group', it appears the idmap is totally
messed up. I have searched but not found any posts telling
how to rebuild this file -surely there must be a way?

There are 400 domain users involved, so rebuilding by hand is
not an option...

Shawn Wright, Systems Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
http://www.sls.bc.ca