[Samba] Failed to open byte range locking database

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 26 04:55:55 GMT 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, the Mail goes here wrote:

>               I am getting this error message when I type smbstatus.The message does not offer a lot of assistance. Is there any one with a good reason for this message??
>
> Thx in advance
>                         Glenn
>

> Samba version 2.2.0a
> Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
>
> Failed to open byte range locking database
> ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
> Can't initialise locking module - exiting

This is because the locking data file has not yet been created. This
happens automatically as soon as you use samba. This problem was fixed in
later versions of samba. Suggest you update - samba-2.2.8 is the current
stable version.

Suggest you do:
	smbclient //localhost/'share' -U 'username'

to affect a connection to a samba resource. You can quit and then run
smbstatus again and it should work.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra