[Samba] No Passwords Valid

Michael Gower cheezegod at gamebox.net
Wed Mar 26 04:23:37 GMT 2003

Problem:
    No login names/password combinations are vaild.

Vague idea of problem area:
    Authentication (unencrypted/encrypted mismatch?)

Details:
    Network:
        WinXP connected to DSL giving IP masquerading to the LAN.
        Win2000 computer I log on most of the time (named Tyler-Durden).
        Redhat 8.0 computer (named CheeZe) that's running samba (I don't know how to find the version number).
    What does work:
        Daemons are running (not xinetd.conf)
        smb.conf passes testparm
        Linux box visable to Win2k machine.
    What doesn't work:
        Box comes up asking for user name / password, all combinations fail.  (It does want a normal logon for the server, right?)
        Going through the troubleshooting techniques hour 13 on the samba site (http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba24Hc13.pdf) it said to try "smbclient //hostname/share -U user%pass".  In my case smbclient //CheeZe/tmp -U user%pass.  I try this while sshing into the Redhat system from the Win2k system.  I get:
            Got a positive name query response from (IP)
            session setup failed: NT STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Other info:
        Setting up samba I used the samba howto at the linux documentation project (http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html).   It said to edit a regkey on the Win2k machine to make it accept unencrypted passwords.  I changed HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters\EnablePlainTextPassword to 1 from 0.
        I set up samba before on the same network and got no such problems.  I tried changing the reg back to 0 to no avail.

Thanks:
    THANK YOU for reading this.  I really, really appreciate it and will really appreciate any responces.
    Any criticisms on this emails format (to make it more readable/convienent to the readers) happily accepted.

                        Michael Gower
                        Linux psudo-newbie.