[Samba] NEWBIE : Configure Samba

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Tue Mar 25 14:20:25 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 02:57, Alain BACH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1st, sorry for ask those questions one more time on the list. I
> desesperately type to install Linux and (of course) Samba on my home
> network. I have 1 server, running W2K pro who should migrate to Linux asap.
> The 2 workstations are running W2K pro and would stay with this f... OS.
>
> My questions :
> 1. The nicest way to use accounts seems to use the Linux accounts and to
> synchronize them with Samba. wich parameter shoud be used for that ?
use the paremeters like this... (you may need to mess with passwd chat
to get it to work on your system)
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n
*successfully*
        unix password sync = Yes
> 2. In such a case, Linux can (or must) be PDC of a Domain. How does samba
> know wich role it is running ? I looked for browing.txt fil on my computer
> to learn more about OS level but I didn't find it.
don't worry about being a PDC until you're more comfortable with samba.
A PDC must have
     domain logons = Yes

The howto collection at samba.org is a great resource...

brad