[Samba] Login denied after joinined Samba PDC

Eric Halverson ehalverson at dchs.us
Mon Mar 24 17:51:23 GMT 2003

Currently running samba 2.2.7 on rh8

I have not had any problems until recently, and I'm not sure exactly
what would have caused this problem.  I have no problem joining a w2k
workstation to my domain, but whenever I attempt to log into the domain,
i receive the following error on the workstation:

The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
that account is incorrect

as well as this from my /var/log/samba/machinename.log

[2003/03/24 12:32:51, 0] smbd/password.c:authorise_login(863)
  authorise_login: rejected invalid user nobody

every time I try to log in with a valid user name.  If i try an invalid
username, nothing shows up in the log file. It seems that my users are
all being mapped to the guest user nobody.  Here is my global section of
smb.conf

[global]
        ;Basic Server Settings
        netbios name = PDC
        workgroup = SMBDOMAIN

        ;Act as domain and local master browser
        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes

        ;Provide a WINS service
        wins support = yes

        ;Security settings
        security = user

        ;Encrypted passwords required for PDC
        encrypt passwords = yes

        ;support domain logons
        domain logons = yes
        domain admin group = root @is
        admin users = root @is

        ;Profile location
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

        ;User home directory and mount drive
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%u

        ;specify the logon script located in the netlogon share
        logon script = "wkix32 logongui.k2k"

        ;automagically add machine accounts
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /dev/null -g
500 -s /bin/false -M %u

        ;Log location and size

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 1000

        ;sync unix/samba passwords
        unix password sync = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        pam password change = yes

        ;performance options

        ;use both NICs
        interfaces = 192.168.1.5/24 192.168.1.6/24

        ;default share values
        create mode = 0770
        directory mode = 0770
        valid users = @is root