[Samba] Redhat 8 Samba+CUPS

Baxter Shepperson baxshep at cox.net
Sat Mar 22 03:01:12 GMT 2003

  Hi all.  In the interest of using a more mainstream business distribution, I
changed my faithful file/printserver over to Redhat 8.0 from Debian Testing.
Now, my shared directories are working fine but printing is not working.  I
can browse to the printer using net view or Network Neighborhood in Windows
or using smbclient -L in Linux but printing is not working.  I've checked
/var/log/samba/ and the only errors I found dealt w/ permissions on
/var/spool/cups which I fixed w/ a chmod 1777.  Right now I suspect the
printcap name = /etc/printca is my problem but I'm not sure.  If anybody has
some input on this or even a working smb.conf using Redhat 8.0 w/ CUPS, I
would appreciate it.  I am including a portion of my smb.conf in case someone
can spot the error I'm missing :)
# Global parameters
[global]
        path = /var/spool/cups
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        domain master = True
        printing = cups
        dns proxy = No
        null passwords = Yes
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        valid users = bax morbo amy nobody planetexpress bender
        invalid users = root
        wins support = true
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        max log size = 1000
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        username level = 8
        map to guest = Bad User
        security = user
        message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        workgroup = SHEP
        syslog = 0
        netbios name = PRINTSERVER