[Samba] smbfs: correctly propogating locks?

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Sat Mar 22 02:31:48 GMT 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to get some database applications working on a mixed
Windows/Linux environment using Wine on the Linux end.  A recent patch to
Wine finally implements the LockFile() and UnlockFile() functions, and
testing on pure Linux setups works fine.

However, Sharing from Windows and connecting from smbfs on Linux, the locks
aren't respected.  Alexandre Julliard confirms this:

> Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:

>> So... where is the failing exactly?  Windows SMB clients connecting to
>> Windows SMB servers respect locks just fine.  Windows SMB clients
>> connecting to Linux Samba shares respect locks just fine (I've been doing
>> this for years).  Is the problem with the smbclient then?

> Yes, the problem is that the smbfs Linux filesystem doesn't propagate
> locks. So you have to make sure that Wine is accessing the files
> through NFS, not through smbfs. As long as the server is a Linux
> machine this shouldn't be a problem.

Can you offer any input, workarounds, or advice?  While I can certainly move
the file serving over to Linux, and get this working, it would be much
better to not be forced to do that.  I'd love to get this working using
smbmount against a Windows NT server.

Thanks, I appreciate you time and effort.  Samba has proven to be an
excellent asset to our operations here.  If you could be kind enough to
reply to me directly as well as to the list, that would be appreciated.

Paul McNett - p at ulmcnett.com
Hollister, California, USA