[Samba] To all who helped with Ext3fs/ReiserFS Performance Enhancing

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 21:41:33 GMT 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:19:48PM -0500, Robert Adkins II wrote:
> 	It appears that the issue could be a bad switch. At this time, I
> have turned down the server's NIC to run at 10baseT-FD and the
> performance has seriously increased. It now takes roughly 25 to 35
> seconds to copy and 8mb file to the server, but it now takes a little
> longer to copy a file from the server.

Sometimes neither the NIC nor the switch is entirely to blame for
speed/duplex mismatches, some cards and some switches just don't seem to
negotiate properly. I had that problem at one job with Sun E450s and
Cisco smart switches - the switches and the Sun hme cards both worked
fine, but they would never negotiate duplex properly. Forcing the NIC
and the port both to 100/full fixed everything. If you can do that you
won't have to buy and install new hardware, at least not right away.

Of course, if you can't force the settings on your switch that won't
help you any, and as I recall not all Linux NIC drivers support forcing
speed/duplex so it might not work with a different card either.

--
Michael Heironimus