[Samba] WinXP Pro passwords

wkc wkc at tarapine.co.nz
Fri Mar 21 00:31:13 GMT 2003

Set-up

Mandrake 8.2
Samba 2.2.3

Problem description
When changing the password of an existing user or adding a new user they can
not logon from a WinXP Pro machine.  Existing users can logon OK from WinXP
Pro and Win98.  New users, and those with password changed, can logon from a
Win98 machine (smbclient \\\\server_name\\share_name -U user_name works OK).
I have started an stopped samba but it makes no difference.

Machine account added as follows:
useradd -M -c "new_winxp_name" -s /bin/false -n new_winxp_name$
smbpasswd -a -m new_winxp_name$

registry key set to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netlogon\parameters\"
RequiresSignOrSeak'=dword:00000000

User accounts created:
useradd
smbpasswd -a to add new users

It seems the NT password part is not working but I have no idea how to fix
it short of re-installing samba.  As this is a production server I am
reluctant to do this unless it is the last recourse.

Any help or suggestions are very welcome; I have searched news groups and
the net but so far I have not come close to a solution.

Thanks to everyone.

Keith Clethero