[Samba] Printer Rights Fail

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Thu Mar 20 17:59:38 GMT 2003

The samba docs/folks can tell you more about what spoolss
does... Disabling it reverts samba's printing to the
LanMan Server-mode printing.  That requires the driver
being installed on each PC (use client driver=yes).

The XP systems may have to have the printer reinstalled
using the Add Printer Wizard, and browse to the samba
server to select the printer.  Then use the XP driver
or "have Disk" method to install the driver.

As for the other (non-functioning) printer on the XP
systems, you might try adding a local port, type
Standard TCP/IP Port, and point it at the lpr port on
your samba server.

For my Lanier 2138, 2138 at samba1, the settings are:

Port Name:  2138
Printer Name or IP Address:  samba1
Protocol:  LPR
LPR Byte Counting Enabled = checked
SNMP Status Enabled = unchecked

Two bonuses from using the LPR port instead of samba:
1.  I get the actual job name, not smbprn.xxxxxx.xxxxxx
2.  The Lanier Job History reflects the correct info as well.
Otherwise it displays "smbprn.xxxxxx.xxxxxx" or "Remote
Downlevel Document" as the file name, depending on how you
tweak the "print command =" entry in smb.conf.

I've sent several msgs to this list about how can I fix this...
Samba's using the spool dir file name as the job name, not
the PC-provided filename.  That's why it's smbprn.xxxxxx.xxxxxx,
and samba provides this to LPR/LPRng as the Job Name (%J).
If you print directly to LPR/LPRng, the correct file name
is displayed as the Job name.

Hope this helps,
  Jim