[Samba] Printing issue: lpq command

Peter Carpenter peterc at osm.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 17:42:24 GMT 2003

Dear Samba Printing gurus,

I've got Samba 2.2.8 feeding a commercial unix print spooler where users get
differing views of print queues according to their "user class". Basically
"operator" types see everything while lowly "users" can only see their own
jobs. It doesn't appear to be possible to get this effect reliably via Samba
because when an operator clicks View-->Refresh his display (of 10 jobs, say)
appears not only in his own printer window but also in the monitoring window
of an ordinary user who only has one job in the queue. Equally, if the
ordinary user refreshes his view, he sees just his one job again but now so
does the operator.

While trying to improve this behaviour I set "lpq cache time" to zero,
thinking this would help. (It didn't.) But I made another discovery. With
the cacheing disabled each "Refresh" from the Windows end (NT workstation)
causes THREE calls to the "lpq command" script !

Finally I tried using a separate lpq command script for each user by adding
%U to the script name in smb.conf and set cache time to 2 seconds to work
round the three calls thing. This gives better performance but still the
serious "crosstalk" problem remains.

Anyone got any insights to offer me on any of the above?

PCC