[Samba] Possible Bug?? (was: Win95 & Win98 - NOT WORKING - NT ,2000, XP are ok)

peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Thu Mar 20 07:04:41 GMT 2003

Thanks for the suggestion Andrew, I was hopeful,
but removing the writeable made no difference.
Still prints from NT, 2000, XP  but not from Win95, 98.

Any other ideas?

-peter.

Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> on 19/03/2003 07:05:29 PM
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 18:02, peter.a.bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Please lend me some expertise...

Sure!  See below:

> RE: [Samba] Win95 & Win98 - NOT WORKING - NT,2000, XP are ok (re
>
>  Printing is working fine for our Windows NT, 2000 and XP clients.
>  However, with windows 95 & 98, the print job gets put into the Samba
>  spool directory (path = /var/spool/lp/tmp/samba)  but doesn't make it
> to the printer.
>  The print files stay there in the directory - don't get removed.

I think Samba is treating this like a file-share for non-NT
(non-spoolss) printing.

>  [global]
>    printing = sysv
>
>   lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
>   lppause command = lp -i %p-%j -H hold
>   lpresume command = lp -i %p-%j -H resume
>   load printers = no
>
>  [hp8100DN1]
>   printer = hp8100dn_1
>  comment = HP LaserJet hp8100 DN
>  path = /var/spool/lp/tmp/samba
>  guest account = nobody
>  guest ok = yes
>  browseable = yes
>  printable = yes

>  writable = yes

Well, I'll start by saying that this last statement will probably just
confuse things - it might turn it back into a disk share.

Andrew Bartlett

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads,
Queensland Transport or National Transport Secretariat, or
endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the message
from your computer.