[Samba] Windows XP logon problems (samba 3.0alpha22)

Jeffrey D. Means meaje at meanspc.com
Tue Mar 18 23:54:51 GMT 2003

When I try to logon to my windows XP box I get the following error
message from windows:

Windows did not load your roaming profile and is attempting to log you
on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to
the server when you logoff. Windows did not load your profile because a
server copy of the profile folder already exists that does not have the
correct security. Either the current user or the Administrator's group
must be the owner of the folder. Contact your network administrator.

This is how my profile directory is permissioned:
[root at bast profile]#pwd
/samba/profile
[root at bast profile]# ll
total 12
drwxrwxrwx       3          root       smbadmin         4096 Mar 17
05:06 .
drwxr-xr-x          7          root       root                   4096
Feb 26 18:40 ..
drwxr-xr-x          2          meaje   smbadmin         4096 Mar 18
16:20 meaje
[root at bast profile]#

smb.conf file:
# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MEANSPC
        netbios name = BAST
        server string = Authentication Server
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        restrict anonymous = Yes
        time server = Yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
#       add user script = useradd -s /bin/false -g smbusr -c "%U" -d
/bin/false -p "junk" %u;passwd -l %u;smbpasswd -a %u
        add machine script = useradd -s /bin/false -g smbusr -c "%m
Machine" -d /bin/false -p "junk" %m;passwd -l %m;smbpasswd -a -m %m
        delete user script = smbpasswd -x %u;userdel %u
        message command = cat %s>/dev/lp0

# LDAP
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://bast.picotech.net/
        ldap server = bast.picotech.net
        ldap port = 389
        ldap suffix = o=smb,dc=meanspc,dc=com
        ldap admin dn = "cn=root,o=smb,dc=meanspc,dc=com"
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        ldap ssl = no

# Debugging
        debug pid = Yes
        debug uid = Yes
        debug timestamp = Yes
        log level = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
        max log size = 50
        panic action = echo
"*******************************************************\nSamba Panic
!!!!!\n*******************************************************">/dev/lp0

# Logon Info
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        logon path = \\bast\profiles\%u
        logon home = \\bast\%u
        logon drive = Z:

# Become PDC
        os level = 255
        lm announce = True
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        domain logons = yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins proxy = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        null passwords = Yes

# Admin Stuff
        admin users = @smbadmin
        write list = @smbadmin
        map system = Yes
        map hidden = Yes
        delete readonly = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168. localhost
        interfaces = eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        large readwrite = Yes
        min protocol = LANMAN1
        fstype = NTFS

[profiles]
        comment = Network roaming profile storage
        path = /samba/profile
        read only = No
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = Yes