[Samba] even worse after another upgrade to 2.2.8!

Jeff D. Hamann jeff_hamann at hamanndonald.com
Tue Mar 18 19:21:16 GMT 2003

I haven't had any luck printing to printer attached to my FreeBSD machine
using samba (local printing works fine) after upgrading to 2.2.7a and using
XP. I could see my shared home directory from both XP and 2K and can still
see my home dir from the w2k machine. Now, when I try to map to my home dir
from XP, the printer status window appears (this time without the "access
denied" message), I cannot map to my home directory. On the windows 2k
machine, I don't get the "access denied" but can't print either.

So, in frustration, I went into the XP registry and tried to delete every
reference to the samba resources (printers, shared drives already mapped,
etc) and I still get the same responses.

Here's a list of the actions:

1) When I attempt to map my user shared drive (in xp), the printer status
window for the only printer on the unix machine appears without error
messages.
2) When I attempt to map to the only printer on the unix machine (in xp),
the printer status window apprears briefly, then goes away.
3) If I select the user dir to "map to a network drive" I get the printer
pull-down menu "open, connect, etc, etc". again xp
4) Same with the real printer. When I try to connect, a windows flashes and
I get nothing. again xp machine.
5) On the win2k machine, I can see the share drive, map, etc. everything is
okay for the shared drive.
6) on the 2k machine, the printer window comes up without error messages,
but I still cannot print.

Here's the log file from the activity so far...

ack! I cannot get to my shared drive so I'll have to get the files by floppy
or something...

There must be a version that works (I've updated from 2.0.10 and it worked
fine with all my win2k machines).

Please help.
Jeff.