[Samba] Win 95/98/Me problem.

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Mar 18 06:03:50 GMT 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Marcin Wolcendorf wrote:

> On Monday 17 March 2003 20:21, you wrote:

> > > W98 configuration:
> > > Network in Control panel:
> > > Net. conf.:
> > > 	client for M$ Netw., file sharing on,

In the Client for Microsoft Networks have you configured it to
authenticate to the domain name (workgroup name)? That is essential.
ie: chelmska in your case.

> > > Auth.:
> > > 	comp. name: goodoldsam
> > > 	wrk grp: chelmska
> > > Acc. Ctrl:
> > > 	user-level, userlist from chelmska
> > >
> > > IP from DHCP, DNS domain name: 'home',
> >
> > In your DHCP server config do you have?:
> >
> > 	option netbios-name-servers x.x.x.x;
> > 	option netbios-node-type 8;
>
> No. But weather I have it or not it doesn't matter- it makes no difference.

Consistent NetBIOS name resolution is critical to stable networking. It
does matter, but I accept that you may not have seen any difference.

> > This will help MS Windows clients to resolve the domain controller name to
> > it's IP address. Timinig is very critical in environments that use User
> > Level Access Control.
>
> 	But they do resolve names with no problems.
>
> > Make sure that you have a NETLOGON share (even if you do not use it!). ie:
> >
> > [netlogon]
> > 	path = /blah/blah
> > ;	(path can be /tmp if you like)
> > 	available = yes
> > 	browseable = No
> > 	read only = yes
>
> 	Also have it:
> [netlogon]
> 	path=...
> 	guest ok = yes
> 	writeble = no
> 	share modes = no
>
> > I know it sounds obvious, but make sure that for each MS Windows client
> > user (logon name) you have an entry in smbpasswd with:
> > 	smbpasswd -a 'logon name'
>
> 	I can log in and see samba shares.
>
> > If the MS Windows logon name has a space of a '_' in it, then use a
> > username on your Unix/Linux system that is fewer than 8 characters and
> > does NOT have a space or '_' char in it, but then add to smb.conf
> > [globals]:
> > 	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> >
> > And then in /etc/samba/smbusers put (for example):
> >
> > 	root = Administrator
> > 	fredm = "Fred Morse"
> > 	maryk = mary_katrinski
>
> Nice to know, thanks.
>
> > > Samba server DNS name: debian.chelmska & debian.home
> > >
> > > [global]
> > >
> [snip]
> > >    os level = 255
> >
> > Suggest:
> > 	os level = 35
> >
> > Setting above 35 does not help any.
>
> 	Nor harm.

Correct, it does no harm.

> > > domain logons = yes
> [snip]
> > > ;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
> >
> > Add:
> >       name resolve order = wins bcast host
>
> 	Also didn't change anything (I remembered to restart samba after changes :-)

Again. This is a setting that directly affects how Samba affects NetBIOS
name resolution.

> ).
> [snip]
>
> 	The problem is- I can log in, I can see samba shares, but when I try to
> share my win folder from w98 box I have to add a user to access list. And
> that's what I cannot do, cause windows says: "You cannot view the list of
> users at this time. Please try again later". Some ethereal investigation
> showed, that w98, when asking for user list, sets 'available buffer length'
> to 66B and it gets error response from samba saing, that buffer should be 67B
> long. That conversation repets 3 times, and then win'98 gives up.

I will send you under separate cover my smb.conf with which I do have user
level access control working just fine. I suspect that there is something
in you MS Windows Me configuration that is spooking you system, not the
different buffer lengths.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra