[Samba] Win 95/98/Me problem.

Marcin Wolcendorf wolcendo at free.polbox.pl
Tue Mar 18 05:10:59 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 March 2003 20:21, you wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Marcin Wolcendorf wrote:

> > > So tell us now: Specifically what have you configured in your Win 9x/Me
> > > network configuration?
> >
> > W98 configuration:
> > Network in Control panel:
> > Net. conf.:
> > 	client for M$ Netw., file sharing on,
> > Auth.:
> > 	comp. name: goodoldsam
> > 	wrk grp: chelmska
> > Acc. Ctrl:
> > 	user-level, userlist from chelmska
> >
> > IP from DHCP, DNS domain name: 'home',
>
> In your DHCP server config do you have?:
>
> 	option netbios-name-servers x.x.x.x;
> 	option netbios-node-type 8;

No. But weather I have it or not it doesn't matter- it makes no difference.

> This will help MS Windows clients to resolve the domain controller name to
> it's IP address. Timinig is very critical in environments that use User
> Level Access Control.

	But they do resolve names with no problems.

> Make sure that you have a NETLOGON share (even if you do not use it!). ie:
>
> [netlogon]
> 	path = /blah/blah
> ;	(path can be /tmp if you like)
> 	available = yes
> 	browseable = No
> 	read only = yes

	Also have it:
[netlogon]
	path=...
	guest ok = yes
	writeble = no
	share modes = no

> I know it sounds obvious, but make sure that for each MS Windows client
> user (logon name) you have an entry in smbpasswd with:
> 	smbpasswd -a 'logon name'

	I can log in and see samba shares.

> If the MS Windows logon name has a space of a '_' in it, then use a
> username on your Unix/Linux system that is fewer than 8 characters and
> does NOT have a space or '_' char in it, but then add to smb.conf
> [globals]:
> 	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>
> And then in /etc/samba/smbusers put (for example):
>
> 	root = Administrator
> 	fredm = "Fred Morse"
> 	maryk = mary_katrinski

Nice to know, thanks.

> > Samba server DNS name: debian.chelmska & debian.home
> >
> > [global]

[snip]
> >    os level = 255
>
> Suggest:
> 	os level = 35
>
> Setting above 35 does not help any.

	Nor harm.

> > domain logons = yes
[snip]
> > ;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
>
> Add:
>       name resolve order = wins bcast host

	Also didn't change anything (I remembered to restart samba after changes :-)
).
[snip]

	The problem is- I can log in, I can see samba shares, but when I try to
share my win folder from w98 box I have to add a user to access list. And
that's what I cannot do, cause windows says: "You cannot view the list of
users at this time. Please try again later". Some ethereal investigation
showed, that w98, when asking for user list, sets 'available buffer length'
to 66B and it gets error response from samba saing, that buffer should be 67B
long. That conversation repets 3 times, and then win'98 gives up.

Regards,

M.W.