[Samba] Samba for Windows? :P

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Fri Mar 14 06:14:06 GMT 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 03:37:26PM +1100, Kuan Bartel said:

> Hi,
>    just wondering if anyone had ever though about making a port of Samba
> for windows.  Now you may think "What's the point?"  Well I'll tell you if
> you had as much control over smb as you have with Samba then you wouldn't
> need it for windows..

I agree Samba is an extremely powerful utility, and part of that has to do
with the fact that it's based upon "unix" design -- flat text file
configurations, and integration with the Unix subsystem of course, etc.

Porting Samba to NT would be an interesting feat, however realistically,
who would want to run Samba on NT?  If you weren't confident in using unix,
I doubt you'd be confident in using Samba/NT.  Apache was ported to NT, but
I really don't know how many people around the world run Apache on Windows.

The only time I could possibly see the advantages of running Samba on
Windows instead of on Unix is because you don't have the budget to put in a
Unix system.  Otherwise, it would be Unix, Unix, Unix, all the way!

If it were available for NT, would you run it?  And if so, why would you
choose to run it on the NT platform over Unix?

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer

adam.smith at sageautomation.com